Music Theory 101
Juilliard’s Ultimate Guide to Music Theory Fundamentals
Developed by Juilliard faculty member Dr. Steven Laitz, this Music Theory 101 online course teaches you the foundations of music theory from a classical music perspective in an engaging and straightforward approach.
In six weeks, you will develop the music theory knowledge you need to become a better player and feel more confident writing for any musical genre, from classical to rock to electronic music.
All are welcome, no audition required.
What You'll Learn
In this six-week online course, you will develop an understanding of the terminology and concepts of classical music theory, including:
- How to begin to read sheet music, including pitch, rhythm, and key signatures.
- How rhythm and pitch combine to create melody.
- How to understand the difference between major and minor.
- How to write a simple melody.
Course Outline & Schedule
This online course is on a flexible weekly schedule, with new materials released each week that you may complete at your own pace before the end of the week. For best results, we recommend setting aside 3-4 hours per week for interacting with and completing the course materials.
The course offers instructional videos, quizzes, and interactive tools to enhance your learning. As you create short musical works each week, you will receive feedback from a small study group of your peers as well as a Juilliard course fellow.
Note that this course will not be offered again until late fall 2017.
- Week of June 26: Pitch and Tonality
- Week of July 3: Intro to Pitch Notation, How to Read and Write Pitches, Intro to Intervals
- Week of July 10: Note Value, Grouping and Expectation, Meter
- Week of July 17: Chromatic Collection, Keys and Scales, Key Signatures
- Week of July 24: Introduction to Mode, Minor Modes and Variations, Consonance and Dissonance
- Week of July 31: Melody
No prior knowledge or courses required. No audition required. Age 13 and up.
If you are unsatisfied with your results from the course, you may email us within the first 14 days of the course start date and we will offer you a full refund.
Statement of Accomplishment
Those who successfully complete this course will receive a Statement of Accomplishment.