Online Course From Juilliard: Psychological Skills of Top Performers
Have you ever wondered why you can play at a pretty high level when you're practicing alone at home, but as soon as you get in front of an audience, your hands start shaking, your heart starts racing, and everything begins to fall apart?
It’s not a talent issue. And that rush of adrenaline and the emotional roller coaster you experience before performances are totally normal, too.
Performing optimally under pressure is a unique skill—one that requires specific mental abilities and a few adjustments in your approach to practicing. Elite athletes have been learning these techniques for decades, and increasingly, so have musicians.
If nerves and self-doubt have been recurring obstacles in your performances, this online course will teach you how to develop the psychological skills that will help you more consistently perform your best when it matters most.
What You'll Learn
Over the course of six weeks, you will the gain the courage, confidence, and skills to be able to perform more fearlessly.
- How to play your best from the very first note.
- The #1 thing top performers do differently in the practice room.
- How to silence your inner critic for more productive practice.
- A trick to unlocking a whole new level of playing.
- A strategy for how to stay in the zone, no matter what.
- How to overcome mistakes and avoid the downward spiral of doom.
Course Outline & Schedule
This online course is on a flexible weekly schedule, with new materials released each week that you may complete at your own pace before the end of the week. For best results, we recommend setting aside 1-3 hours per week for interacting with course materials.
Note that this course will not be offered again until fall 2017.
- Week of June 26: Beating Anxiety
- Week of July 3: Practice That Sticks
- Week of July 10: Building True Confidence
- Week of July 17: Becoming Fearless
- Week of July 24: Getting (and Staying) in the Zone
- Week of July 31: Handling Mistakes Like a Pro
For musicians of all types and abilities. No audition required. Age 13 and up.
Statement of Accomplishment
Those who successfully complete this course will receive a Statement of Accomplishment.
If you are unsatisfied with your results from the course, you may email us within the first 14 days of the course start date and we will offer you a full refund.